Membership Services Department
2008 Program Service Accomplishments
from The SETI League, Inc. IRS Form 990, Part III
(a) Science Programs:
- Supported 143 Project Argus radio telescopes built by members in 27 countries on all seven continents. Coordinated their SETI and astrophysical observations. Argus stations analyzed and cataloged several new candidate signals during 2008.
- Members' stations monitored telemetry signals and science beacons from several NASA and ESA interplanetary space probes.
- Provided Committee leadership (as co-chairman) to the SETI Permanent Study Group of the International Academy of Astronautics.
- 265 SETI League members continue to lend computer support to the SETI@home distributed computing experiment, through the Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Networked Computing (BOINC).
(b) Technology Programs:
- Provided electromagnetic link analysis for an Interstellar Radio Message (IRM) beamed toward Alpha Centauri.
- Coordinated and archived four closed technical email lists.
- Inducted one additional amateur radio astronomer into the Extra-Terrestrial Century Club, for a total of fifteen ETCC honorees.
(c) Public Education Programs:
- Executive Director Emeritus delivered seven public lectures in three countries, dealing with radio astronomy techniques and related SETI science.
- Our members coordinated the 2008 Technical Conference of the Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers (SARA), a SETI League affiliate, editing and contributing to the Proceedings for that Conference.
- Executive Director Emeritus served as Vice President for the Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers (SARA), a SETI League affiliate.
- Executive Director Emeritus published thirteen technical articles in scholarly journals and the popular press, plus five SETI related papers in Conference proceedings.
- Provided webmastering services to several sister organizations, including the Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers, International Academy of Astronautics SETI Permanent Study Group, Invitation to ETI.
- Distributed CD copies of "The SETI League Technical Manual" and "Tune In The Universe!", a radio amateur's guide to the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence.
- Officers and volunteer Regional Coordinators answered numerous email queries from around the world on technical and societal aspects of SETI.
- Distributed numerous print and CD copies of various SETI League Conference Proceedings.
- Distributed copies of two music CDs including numerous SETI songs.
(d) Media and Outreach Programs:
- Published four issues of SearchLites, the quarterly newsletter of The SETI League, Inc.
- Coordinated and archived two open public email lists.
- Distributed nine Press Releases and twelve Editorials to over 700 media outlets worldwide.
- Filed 52 weekly updates to The SETI League's extensive website, bringing its total document count to 7630 objects.
- Mailed out dozens of membership brochures to email requesters.
- Several of our 60 volunteer Regional Coordinators in 46 countries conducted print and broadcast media briefings and interviews.
- Executive Director Emeritus granted print media and broadcast interviews in the US, UK, India, and France.
- Awards Committee chairman presented the fourteenth annual Giordano Bruno Memorial Award, the seventh annual Orville N. Greene Service Award, and twelve SETI SuperStar Awards.