Membership Services Department
2004 Program Service Accomplishments
from The SETI League, Inc. IRS Form 990, Part III
(a) Science Programs:
- Coordinated 127 Project Argus radio telescopes in 23 countries, built and operated by volunteers, logging an estimated 100,000 hours of astrophysical observations. Argus stations analyzed and cataloged several candidate signals during 2004.
- Operated W2ETI Moonbounce Beacon for 4 1/2 months, providing 1600 hours of free microwave calibration signals to the world's amateur and professional radio telescopes.
- Provided Committee leadership (as co-chairman) to the SETI Permanent Study Group of the International Academy of Astronautics.
- 246 members contributed an additional 1,000 additional years of processing time to the SETI@home distributed computing experiment.
- Performed laboratory measurements to help refute a claim of extraterrestrial technology on Earth.
(b) Technology Programs:
- Designed and tested an analog power combiner circuit for the Very Small Array radio telescope prototype.
- Provided design consultation and proposal assistance to the Montecorvino SETI Telescope Array (MStar).
- Coordinated and archived four closed technical email lists.
- Inducted five more amateur radio astronomers into the Extra-Terrestrial Century Club.
(c) Public Education Programs:
- Conducted EuroSETI04, The SETI League's first European Technical Symposium, and published Proceedings on CD-ROM.
- Conducted SETICon04, The SETI League's fourth annual Technical Symposium, and published Proceedings on CD-ROM.
- Distributed 15 copies of "Tune In The Universe!", a radio amateur's guide to the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence.
- Distributed 7 print copies of "The SETI League Technical Manual."
- Excecutive Director delivered ten public lectures in four countries, on radio astronomy techniques and related SETI science.
- Published more than a dozen technical articles in the popular and scientific press.
- Published third issue of "Contact In Context," a Web-based peer-reviewed SETI scholarly journal.
- Provided webmastering services to the Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers, the International Academy of Astronautics SETI Permanent Study Group, and Invitation to ETI.
(d) Media and Outreach Programs:
- Published four issues of SearchLites, the quarterly newsletter of The SETI League, Inc.
- Coordinated and archived two open public email lists.
- Distributed six Press Releases and twelve Editorials to over 700 media outlets worldwide.
- Filed 52 weekly updates to The SETI League's extensive website, bringing its total document count to over 2800 pages.
- 65 volunteer Regional Coordinators in 49 countries conducted a dozen print and broadcast media briefings and interviews.
- Executive Director granted print media and broadcast interviews in the US, Canada, Italy, and Germany.
- Presented the tenth annual Giordano Bruno Memorial Award, the third annual Orville N. Greene Service Award, four Best Ideas Awards, and twelve SETI SuperStar Awards.