Membership Services Department
2003 Program Service Accomplishments
from The SETI League, Inc. IRS Form 990, Part III
(a) Science Programs:
- Coordinated 123 Project Argus radio telescopes in 22 countries, built and operated by volunteers, logging in excess of 100,000 hours of astrophysical observations. Argus stations analyzed and cataloged dozens of candidate signals during 2003.
- Operated W2ETI Moonbounce Beacon for 10 months, providing 3600 hours of free microwave calibration signals to the world's amateur and professional radio telescopes, including the Arecibo Observatory.
- Provided Committee participation, webmastering, and web hosting services to the SETI Permanent Study Group of the International Academy of Astronautics.
- Over 200 members contributed nearly 1,000 additional years of processing time to the SETI@home distributed computing experiment.
(b) Technology Programs:
- Designed and tested front-end electronics modules for the Very Small Array radio telescope prototype.
- US Patent #6593876, Adaptive Microwave Antenna Array, granted for VSA tech-nology.
- Coordinated and archived four closed technical email lists.
- Inducted two amateur radio astronomers into the Extra-Terrestrial Century Club.
- Designed and published the SETI Horn of Plenty waveguide antenna for L-band radio astronomical observations.
(c) Public Education Programs:
- Conducted SETICon03, The SETI League's third annual Technical Symposium, sponsored an associated Microwave Hardware Workshop, and published extensive Proceedings.
- Co-sponsored the Third European Radio Astronomy Congress in Heppenheim, Germany.
- Distributed 50 copies of "Tune In The Universe!", a radio amateur's guide to the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence.
- SETI League personnel delivered over a dozen public lectures on radio astronomy techniques and related SETI science.
- Published more than a dozen technical articles in the popular and scientific press.
- Published second issue of "Contact In Context," a Web-based peer-reviewed SETI scholarly journal.
- Provided webmastering services to the Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers and the International Academy of Astronautics SETI Permanent Study Group.
(d) Media and Outreach Programs:
- Published four issues of SearchLites, the quarterly newsletter of The SETI League, Inc.
- Coordinated and archived two open public email lists.
- Distributed nine Press Releases and twelve Editorials to over 700 media outlets worldwide.
- Filed 52 weekly updates to The SETI League's extensive website, bringing its total document count to over 2700 pages.
- 63 volunteer Regional Coordinators in 50 countries conducted more than 20 print and broadcast media briefings and interviews.
- Executive Director granted print media and broadcast interviews in the US and Germany, and presented SETI-related public lectures throughout the US and Europe.
- Presented the ninth annual Giordano Bruno Memorial Award, the second annual Orville N. Greene Service Award, five Best Ideas Awards, and twelve SETI SuperStar Awards.