SETI League Policy Manual
Note: By resolution of the Board of Trustees on 2 December 1997, The SETI League, Inc. officially endorses the following Protocols, and respectfully requests that all members participating in our Project Argus sky survey embrace them.
I, the undersigned, am an official Project Argus participant, and subscribe to the following Signal Detection Protocols:
- I will assemble, operate and maintain my Project Argus receiving station in accordance with sound engineering practice.
- I will apply the utmost objectivity to the analysis of all candidate signals received.
- I will accurately determine my exact station location (latitude and longitude) and antenna aiming coordinates (azimuth and elevation).
- I will periodically verify my station's proper operation with a signal generator, the Sun, or other celestial radio source.
- I will promptly report to SETI League headquarters any substantive changes to my station configuration.
- I will maintain accurately calibrated time and frequency standards.
- I will calculate the signal duration and rate of change of Doppler shift which, for my station, are consistent with sidereal motion.
- I will employ the above information to exclude from further consideration any candidate signal found to be of terrestrial origin.
- For all potentially relevant signals, I will accurately record time, frequency, and amplitude information.
- I will become a subscriber to, and promptly report all pertinent observations to, The SETI League's Signal Verification email list.
- I will attempt to verify any candidate signals reported by other Project Argus participants.
- In order to avoid undermining the credibility of Project Argus by making premature disclosure of unverified signals, I will await instructions from The SETI League regarding any public announcements of my findings.
These Protocols shall have the force and effect of Bylaws of The SETI League, Inc. They may be amended as necessary from time to time by the Board of Trustees. Amendments or revisions shall become effective as of the date of their posting to the World Wide Web site of The SETI League, Inc.