Membership Services Department
Minutes of the Eighteenth Annual Membership Meeting
22 April 2012, SETI League Headquarters, Little Ferry, NJ
- Call to Order
The meeting was convened at 13:05 hours EDT, in the Library at SETI League Headquarters, Little Ferry NJ, by Executive Director Emeritus Dr. H. Paul Shuch. Three SETI League members in good standing present. Our Bylaws requiring one percent of the current membership to be in attendance for the conduct of SETI League business, the above represents a quorum.
- Minutes of 2011 Membership Meeting
The Minutes of the 2011 Membership Meeting having been previously posted to The SETI League's World Wide Web site, a motion was then passed to accept the minutes as posted.
- Treasurer's Report
Presented jointly by Dr. Shuch and Secretary/Treasurer Heather Wood, covering the calendar year 2011 (as e-filed).
- Revenues: Dues and Contributions $17,612, Interest Income $9, Total $17,621.
- Expenses: Educational/Scientific Programs $17,872, Management/General $2,886, Fundraising $993, Total $21,751.
- Revenues minus Expenses: $(4,130).
- End of 2011, SETI League account balances equalled $6,851. 2010 beginning net assets $10,981.
- 2012 Budget: Projected Revenues $18,005, Program Expenses $17,000, Management/General Expenses $4,000, Fundraising Expenses $1,000, Projected deficit ($2,995), Projected Ending Balance $3,856.
- This report was accepted by those present.
- Executive Director's Report
The Executive Director's annual report of Program Service Accomplishments having been previously posted to The SETI League's World Wide Web site, a motion was passed to accept the report as published.
- Committee Reports
Report by SETI League president and station trustee Richard Factor. The EME beacon remains off the air. No progress to report since last year.
Awards Committee chairman David Ocame being absent, Dr. Shuch announced that selection of this year's Giordano Bruno Award and Orville N. Greene Award are being deferred to enable the Board to review The SETI League's award policies. Twelve websites have been given the SETI SuperStar award this year. More nominations are requested from the members. Paul will note this in the next issue of SearchLites.
- Old Business
- Very Small Array
Dr. Shuch reports that the project is on hold, due to lack of funding, with no progress to report since last year.
- Mid-Year Renewal Letter
Ms. Wood will once again mail out a mid-year appeal to lapsed members. Last year's letter generated several reinstatements of lapsed members.
- Annual Report
The SETI League's 2011 Annual Report is available to members via the website, in Portable Document Format (PDF). Ms. Wood will distribute hard-copies of this report to our major donors.
- Web Server
Mr. Factor reports that new servers have finally been ordered. The website will migrate to the new servers as soon as they have been installed, initialized, and tested.
- New Business
- The membership reaffirmed its commitment to the Vision and Mission statements of The SETI League, Inc.
- Next Meeting
The next Annual Meeting will be held at the same venue. The selected date of Sunday 21 April 2013 has been verified as not in conflict with Easter, Passover, or US tax season. The meeting will be at 1300 hours EDT, to be followed immediately by the Board of Trustees meeting. The date and time will be announced to the membership via the website and newsletter.
- Good and Welfare
- Dr. Shuch reported on the failing health of longtime member Allen Tough. Those present expressed their wishes for his recovery.
- Mr. Factor reported on his upcoming relocation to his retirement home in Arizona. He informed the membership that he will be visiting his New Jersey office monthly for the foreseeable future, and thus remains able to fulfill his SETI League duties.
The Annual Membership Meeting was adjourned by the Executive Director Emeritus at 13:32 hours EDT on 22 April 2012. A Regular Board of Trustees meeting followed.
Business Transacted by Board of Trustees:
- Quorum Call
Trustees and Officers present: A. Heather Wood, Richard Factor, H. Paul Shuch
Trustees and Officers absent: Martin Schreiber
A quorum is present.
- Election of Officers
The following slate of officers was retained for a one-year term:
President - Richard Factor, serving without compensation.
Secretary/Treasurer - A. Heather Wood
Executive Director Emeritus - H. Paul Shuch, serving on a volunteer basis.
- Registered Agent
The New Jersey Division of Revenue requires that we designate a Registered Agent to execute certain state documents. Mr. Factor was previously appointed to this post, and has agreed to continue serving in this capacity for an additional year.
- Personnel matters
- In executive session, the Secretary/Treasurer's annual performance review was completed.
- In executive session, the Board of Trustees voted to continue cost-sharing of Executive Director Emeritus' health insurance premiums, as a program expense, pending availability of funds and subject to periodic review. Dr. Shuch abstaining.
- Advisory Board
Establishment of a secure email alias, to permit the Executive Director Emeritus to communicate with Advisory Board members on an occasional basis, was previously authorized. Richard Factor repeated his commitment to implement this function, upon eventual activation of the new Web server.
- Awards Criteria
The Board reiterated its policy that selection criteria for the Bruno and Greene awards remain the contributions and accomplishments of the recipient, but that presentation timing and venue will be selected so as to maximize publicity value to The SETI League.
- Bank Fees
Fees charged for our various bank accounts were discussed. The Secretary/Treasurer recommended retaining the Bank of America account, to serve as a fiscal firewall between the Merrill Lynch and PayPal accounts. The Board considers the resulting fees to be negligible.
The Board of Trustees meeting was adjourned at 13:52 EDT.
Respectfully submitted, A. Heather Wood, Secretary